The Solana Beach Chamber of Commerce is rolling out a Business Book Club.
Reading sharpens intelligence, makes you a better communicator and improves emotional intelligence. We’ll kick off the Solana Beach Chamber of Commerce Business Book Club on Wednesday January 10th at 5:30 PM (to 7:00 PM) at the Marriott on Route 101 in Solana Beach.
We will meet fireside out in the courtyard. Comfy seating, nice restaurant and warm fire pit round out the great venue.
Why read? Ultra-successful people read; they read deliberately; and they read a lot!
Why a Book Club? Reading is a solitary activity but book clubs, reading in community offers benefits beyond the reading itself:
* Book clubs keep members focused on getting the reading done just by the fact that another meeting is coming up!
* The discussion process helps readers focus; read more attentively with thorough understanding.
* A book club’s diverse perspectives sheds light on ideas a solitary reader may never have seen.
* Book clubs create opportunities to build and deepen relationships through shared learning.
* A book club’s process makes us more comfortable and confident in other professional discussions with colleagues, boardroom presentations and team meetings. Book clubs offer a safe space outside your professional environment to engage on content in discussion and learn to converse more productively with others.
Why a Business Book Club? Chamber members are business people and not necessarily literati, so we’ll focus on business books (marketing, sales, coaching, operations, social media, finance as a few areas) to improve our success quotient and, if we want to digress, on biographies and autobiographies of successful business leaders for guidance and inspiration http://www.fastcompany.com/3052716/how-to-be-a-success-at-everything/heres-what-the-most-successful-people-read-and-why. Serious but not technical books; challenging ideas but not beyond the ken of our average member!
When: The 2nd Wednesday of every month 5:30 PM (to 7:00 PM). Our maiden meeting will be on Wednesday January 10th.
Where: Courtyard Marriott on Route 101 in Solana Beach.
Cost: FREE (but let’s vote on a per head charge to tip the waiter/waitress/wait staff for their time (e.g. $3 or $4 or $5 per head).
Food & Beverage: Available on a pay the venue directly basis.
Who can come: Any chamber member or guest (no guest charge and no attendance charge.) What a deal!
Group size: 10 to 15 and then we’ll split into another group! All are welcome!
Books: We’ll vote at the end of each meeting on the next month’s book!
Book #1: Short, sweet and interesting to give us a discussion: Only the Paranoid Survive, by Andrew S. Grove (Available on Amazon for $1.99 Kindle, $11.27 Paperback).
Discussion Leader: Bob Flynn for the first meeting and going forward we can rotate the discussion leader role if so desired and can, for example, have whoever proposes a book we agree to read lead the discussion of that book if they would like to do so!
Sources of books to read are numerous including, for example, the following:
* For Warren Buffet’s 9 books every billionaire should read: see http://business.financialpost.com/business-insider/warren-buffett-book-picks
* For Bill Gates 17 recommendations, http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-favorite-books-2015-10/#the-better-angels-of-our-nature-why-violence-has-declined-by-steven-pinker-5
All are welcome!